You've probably seen an Instagram post or two of a big, beautiful bathroom with a luxurious looking bundle of eucalyptus leaves hanging from the shower head. While these beautiful bunches of leaves may just seem like décor, they actually serve a deeper purpose. Eucalyptus is a plant native to Australia and has been used in aromatherapy for its deep support of respiratory health.
Not only does showering with eucalyptus provide an awakening and refreshing shower experience, but there are health benefits you could be receiving as well!
The Benefits Of Eucalyptus Steam
Inhaling eucalyptus steam has been a practice for thousands of years and has been known to have a number of health benefits. When you hang eucalyptus or use a eucalyptus oil in the shower, the steam releases potent essential oils that can clear out your upper respiratory tract, relieve pain, and reduce stress. Here are the potential benefits of eucalyptus steam:
- Support of respiratory health. Eucalyptus oil may help improve or relieve respiratory conditions like bronchitis, asthma, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It can also help relieve coughs.
- Pain relief. Some studies have shown that eucalyptus oil may ease joint pain from conditions like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Reduce congestion. Eucalyptus may have some antibacterial properties, and inhaling it can reduce inflammation. This makes it effective in treating congestion and sinus infections as well as clearing out mucus from nasal passages.
- Stress relief. A major component of eucalyptus is eucalyptol, which has been shown to decrease anxiety. Many find the earthy, minty scent of eucalyptus calming and report a reduction in stress after inhaling it.
Where Do I Buy Eucalyptus For The Shower?
You can buy a fresh eucalyptus bundle at your local florist or grocery store, or you can try one of these options:
- Use a shower spray. A few spritzes of a eucalyptus shower spray into the running water can transform your entire shower into a spa-like experience!
- Diffuse some eucalyptus essential oil in your bathroom. A few drops of high-quality eucalyptus essential oil in a diffuser can have similar effects to a eucalyptus steam shower.
- Use a eucalyptus oil body wash or soap. Inhaling the scents from a eucalyptus soap or body wash can have the same aromatherapy benefits.
- If you enjoy baths, you can use eucalyptus Epsom salts. These dissolve in the bath water and release the essential oils so you receive the benefits of soaking in them as well as inhaling that eucalyptus steam.
How To Hang Eucalyptus In The Shower
Hanging eucalyptus in your shower is simple - tie the stems together with some twine or rubber bands and tie them to the back of your shower head. Be sure that they're not directly in the water's flow so that the steam from the shower can activate and release the oil.